Forums
November 28, 2014, 06:45:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: What are your experiences of Breastfeeding - why not send us an article for the website?

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking Flucloxacillin against Mastitis during breastfeeding  (Read 28762 times)
Anonymous
« on: November 05, 2005, 13:18:05 PM »

I have just developed Mastitis and been given Flucloxacillin capsules (500 mg) which I need to take for the following 7 days. I am very concerned about the effect this will have on my baby as I am currently fully breastfeeding him. He is three months old.
Does anybody have some advise regarding what to do?
Thanks for your help!
Elke
toon-momma
Power Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 18:59:18 PM »

I checked on the BFN (breast feeding netwrok) site and they list several antibiotics including flucloxacillin as being safe during breastfeeding at the following dosage :

250-500mg four times a day one hour before food

I don't know what other advice you were given but as well as the antibiotics you need to do the following:

- continue to feed from the affected side or pump if baby is unwilling
- use alternate massabe and hot compress to help drain all of the breast
- use different positions eg rugby ball hold to drain different parts of the breast
- rest, drink plenty of fluids and icrease vit C intake
- apply heat prior to feeding to encourage drainage

Apologies if I am posting stuff you already know but I haven't always found doctors to be that good when it comes to breastfeeding.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 00:30:41 AM »

I had to take antibiotics for mastitis they worked really quickly but be aware that this can also lead to thrush on your nipple as your immune system may be down and the antibiotics make your immune system worse.  I was given advice to take acidophalus tablets (whilst taking the antibiotics) from health food shop (holland and barret) these help keep friendly bacteria and prevent thrush.  Also the probiotic drinks such as actimel are good to take.  If you are in pain I would recommend the nipple shields these worked a treat for me.
gbsmum
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 20:36:36 PM »

I had several bouts of mastitis when feeding number three. My temperature would soar  :oops:  and I'd tuck up in bed only venturing out to keep feeding H.  I began to notice the tell tale soreness of an impending bout and would up my fluid intake and take a warm bath. I did take antibiotics a couple of times but I don't think it cleared up any faster than when I didn't have them Someone told me that a baby with a runny nose can pass on the bacteria which cause mastitis.  Does anyone know if that's true?  Happily I havn't had it at all this time round Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: